This is the $1 Million Grand Prize winner of the 1998 Pillsbury Bake-Off. I wish I came up with a recipe that won me $1 million! In any case, I think it’s worth every penny. This dish has so much flavour and will keep in the fridge for at least 5 days. I used to measure out the ingredients but now I just dump them all together in one big pot and it works. For my photos today, I’ll measure for you.
If you are time-poor (aren’t we all?) then this will save you one night a week. I prep this every Sunday and pop it on the stove to reheat when I’m running late from work. I find it tastes even better once it’s been pre-cooked and has time for the flavours to settle.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil for almonds + 1 tbsp. olive oil for chicken
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 cup Salsa (check the label and make sure there is no sugar!)
- 2 tbsp. currants (these are next to the sultanas but if you’re on a budget, just grab sultanas instead – they’ll do the trick too. win win!)
- 1 tbsp. raw local honey, optional and can easily be removed if you’re on a sugar detox
- 3/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon